Areas of Practice
- Employment Visas
- Permanent Residence
- US Citizenship
Ellen Freeman Immigration Law Group, PLLC has been 20 years in the making since Ellen’s graduation from University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1999 and the moment her Father asked her, “When are you going to start your own Firm?” Her Father, a successful entrepreneur, was always keen to have his daughter take control of her own destiny just as he had done with his career in business. He could see there was that same spark within Ellen to want to achieve something greater.
Over the past nearly 20 years, while working at three of Pittsburgh’s highly regarded law firms, Ellen became proficient and respected in the field of immigration law. In 2018, she was elected to the Board of Governors of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. She climbed the corporate ladder at large law firms, to achieve Partner level at one firm and break “the glass ceiling” to become Partner-In -Charge at her most recent destination.
This past February 2019, a different kind of opportunity presented itself. Ellen knew it was the right time to begin a new journey; a journey she had undoubtedly been preparing for her entire career. On March 1st, 2019, the doors opened at Ellen Freeman Immigration Law Group, PLLC; a full-service immigration law firm. Ellen prides herself in caring about every client and finding the best solution to their specific immigration needs. It is this determined effort to offer the best service and solutions to her clients that will drive Ellen Freeman Immigration Law Group to even greater heights of success.
With over 20 years of practice in all facets of employment-based immigration, Ellen works with growing organizations to advise on U.S. immigration law, strategy, compliance and training. Her depth of experience fully supports clients moving through the complex steps of business growth and shifting employment strategy, including formation of corporate entities, establishment of U.S. operations and applications for temporary visas through permanent residence.
Ellen extends her leadership and counsel as a business partner and problem solver for her clients in the areas of biotech, IT, health care and education. Her immigration experience includes global mobility, outbound immigration, IRCA, I-9, LCAs, employment-based petitions, PERM labor certification applications, immigrant visa petitions, consular processing and adjustment of status filings. Ellen excels at J-1 waivers for foreign medical graduates and priority worker preference petitions.
Highly active in immigration education and development at both the local and national levels, Ellen serves in various leadership roles with the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and served as a member of the Welcoming Pittsburgh Advisory Council to the Mayor of Pittsburgh, an initiative aimed at attracting immigrants to the region. She is the Pennsylvania Ambassador as part of the American Immigration Council’s AILA Ambassador Program.
As an avid supporter of the arts, Ellen regularly secures O-1 and P-1 visa status on behalf of musicians, conductors, actors and singers, as well as large entertainment groups for their tours in the U.S. On an international level, Ellen is a frequent writer and lecturer on all topics surrounding employment-based immigration.
- Pennsylvania – 1999
- New York – 2009
- Law 360, Immigration Editorial Advisory Board, 2016-present;
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Board Member 2018-2021;
- Global Migration Section Steering Committee 2018-2019;
- Business Immigration Issue Development Team 2018-2019;
- Midyear Conference Committee, Business Chair; Business Task force, 2017-2019;
- National 2018 Fall Conference Planning Committee;
- Rome-EMEA District Chapter 2018 Spring Conference Committee, Member;
- 2018 Annual Conference Fundamentals Track, Chair, 2017-2018;
- Global Migration Section Consular Liaison Committee, Chair, 2017-2018;
- 2016 Annual Conference Committee, 2015-2016;
- Business Immigration Committee, 2014-2015;
- Board of Governors, Pittsburgh Chapter, Chair, 2009-2011, 2014-2015;
- Fundamentals Conference Committee, Chair, 2014;
- Rome District Chapter, Spring Conference Committee, 2013-2014;
- Global Section Steering Committee, 2013-2015;
- Students & Scholars Committee, 2012-2013;
- Distance Learning (CLE) Committee, Chair, 2011-2012;
- Member, 2016-2017 Allegheny County Bar Association, Women in the Law Division Council, 2018-present;
- Arts and Law Committee, 2009-present;
- Immigration Law Committee, Chair, 2009-2011, 2014-2015;
- Pittsburgh Human Resources Association, Learning & Professional Development Committee, 2008-2011;
HONORS & AWARDS
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Immigration Law, 2019;
- Pittsburgh Business Times, Women of Influence award, 2018;
- Leadership Pittsburgh, 2018-2019 Class;
- GlobalPittsburgh, Immigrant Entrepreneur Award for Immigrant Professional Excellence, December 2017;
- Who’s Who, Corporate Immigration, 2015-Present;
- Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent®, 2008-Present;
- AILA, Certificate of Achievement, 2008, 2011;
- AILA, Foreign Medical Graduates Task Force, 2009-Present;
- United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania, Women’s Leadership Council, Executive Committee (Spotlight article);
- Executive Women’s Council of Greater Pittsburgh, Executive Committee Secretary, 2017-Present;
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Center for International Legal Education, Advisory Board, 2017-Present;
- Welcoming Pittsburgh Advisory Council, 2014-2015;
- World Affairs Council of Pittsburgh, Education Committee Member, 2010-2012;
- Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh, Cardozo Society, Chair, 2010-2011 and Co-Chair 2009-2010;
- Blue Knott, Pittsburgh, Vice President, 2008-2010;
- Wechsler Leadership Development Institute, 2008-2009;
- Jack Buncher Leadership Program, Jerusalem, Israel, 1992;
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law (J.D.)
- University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public and International Affairs (M.P.I.A.). Certificate in International Corporate Environments, Cross-Cultural communication.
- Odessa National University (M.A.)